1/4/2010 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m. welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from December 7, 2009 meeting were presented for review and approval. Betty Ann Surydkowski made a motion to approve minutes; seconded by Jane Powers Weldon. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC that bids for the Resaca Battlefield Park are on the county website. Bids are anticipated to be in by end of January. Jane Powers Weldon questioned when bid process will be closed; Chairman Padgett stated he would have to check on the date. David Mitchell stated the county was to be signing a contract with a firm out of Atlanta. Chairman Padgett stated it was BHM, an architectural firm from Atlanta, who would be overseeing architectural side of the site.
- Chairman Padgett informed Lydia Seen, with Calhoun Times, of the GPS cemetery project. He stated as of this date there are currently 73 cemeteries on file. David Mitchell stated the GPS equipment being used for the cemetery project was not calculating the proper coordinates and would have to be corrected. There was brief discussion of some cemeteries that have been located. Chairman Padgett stated once the cemetery project is complete it would be a good idea to get with the Historical Society and see if there could be a preservation plan in place to ensure cemeteries are preserved.
- Chairman Padgett stated he has been contacted by Randy Dowling, County Administrator, in regards to the HPC working on getting Fort Wayne and Resaca Battlefield Park listed on the National Register. He stated Fort Wayne should be no problem getting on the Register. Resaca Battlefield Park will be more complicated because there has not been a study on the entrenchment lines on the property, which is essential. Chairman Padgett shared an information sheet for getting properties listed on the National Register, which is very detailed. He stated he will forward this document to the HPC. He stated he informed Randy Dowling the HPC would start as soon as possible on the Fort Wayne Site but the roadway into the Battlefield Park would need to be complete to gain access into the site. Chairman Padgett stated he has already completed a 40 page synopsis on the history of Fort Wayne for MACTEC which will be used for the National Register application process as well.
- Ursula Desrosier handed out CD’s with the historic resource study contained on them for the HPC members to have on file.
- Ursula Desrosier mentioned agenda for the upcoming year for meeting dates of the HPC. She mentioned September’s meeting would be scheduled on Labor Day; Chairman Padgett stated September’s meeting could be rescheduled to a different day.
- Chairman Padgett questioned Urusla if she was aware of any meetings the HPC should attend with the Zoning Board; she stated no. Ursula stated herself and Paige Hatley, MACTEC, met in reference to the ULDC. Chairman Padgett questioned if Ursula anything would affect preservation of properties historic districts. She stated possibly set backs and sizes of lots could possibly affect an historic district. There was brief discussion as to verbage, in particular to set back requirements and setbacks. Chairman Padgett stated he is pleased with historic districts but he is concerned with the grey areas on historic structures not within a historic district.
- Chairman Padgett informed Lydia of CD’s the HPC wants to present to the Historical Society and library for the public to have access to the information. He questioned if an article or picture could be posted in the newspaper when the CD’s were presented. Lydia stated she could do an article and for Chairman Padgett to contact her when they were ready for the presentation.
- Chairman Padgett stated once the cemetery survey is complete they would like to have it listed on the county zoning map to help with future zoning. The HPC would also like a brochure of the cemetery survey to help with genealogists or historians that are interested in the cemetery locations. He stated private cemeteries would need to be noted as such on any publication. R. Stanley Chambers questioned if there were any new developments on the Chitwood property; Chairman Padgett stated no.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is February 1, 2010 at 6 p.m. at the library. Jane Powers Weldon made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:35 p.m.