5/3/2010 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Vice Chairman Surdykowski called the meeting to order at approximately 6:10 p.m. welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from April 5, 2010 meeting were presented for review and approval. Vice Chairman Surdykowski made mention of spelling of name incorrect in minutes. Jane Powers Weldon noted one change to minutes and one amendment. Sandy Padgett will make necessary corrections and email updated minutes to HPC members. Jane Powers Weldon made motion to accept minutes with documented changes; seconded by David Mitchell. All voted aye.
- Vice Chairman mentioned Resaca Battlefield Park project article in the Calhoun Times. She stated Board of Commissioner Chairman Alvin Long along with members of Chamber of Commerce met with Chris Clark, head of Georgia Department of Economic Affairs, in Atlanta in regards to the project. Agreement was decided upon to use the 3.2 million dollars on the Resaca Battlefield Project. David Mitchell stated representatives Johnny Meadows and Don Thomas met with Alvin Long while he was in Atlanta in regards to the project.
- David Mitchell stated there are approximately 175 cemeteries on record with the GPS cemetery location project. He stated there are additional 20-30 cemeteries that information has been passed along to the HPC that have not yet been visited. He stated the project will be suspended until cooler weather due to seasonal concerns. R. Stanley Chambers commended Chairman Padgett for use of his resources on the cemetery project.
- David Mitchell stated himself and Chairman Padgett discussed obtaining mileage from the courthouse or other areas in Gordon County to cemeteries to make the cemeteries easier to locate.
- Vice Chairman Surydkowski questioned if the cemetery clean up day scheduled for April 24, 2010 would be rescheduled; David Mitchell stated the clean up day would be rescheduled in fall/winter time of year.
- Vice Chairman Surydkowski stated there will be a one day training session on May 21st in Canton, Georgia. She stated herself along with Beth Grubbs will be attending. Chairman Padgett and Suzanne Roland will possibly attend the training in Canton as well.
- Jane Powers Weldon gave a brief update on the Warm Springs Conference she attended in March of this year. She presented a copy of a Heritage to Tourism handbook titled ‘A How to guide for Georgia” to HPC members for review. She stated Ursula or Chairman Padgett could obtain 20 copies of this book free of charge or the book can be downloaded from the following webpage – www.exploregeorgia.org . She stated the book has a lot of good information for pushing preservation efforts.
- There was brief discussion of tourism in Gordon County and Georgia.
- R. Stanley Chambers gave brief overview of Confederate Memorial day ceremony held in Resaca at the cemetery. Resaca Battlefield Reenactment will take place May 15th & May 16th. Vice Chairman Surdykowski gave an overview of what the reenactment entails.
Jane Powers Weldon attended the regional preservation quarterly meeting; she gave a brief overview of the meeting. She stated Dan Latham oversees the committee, which is a consolidation of the two Northwest Georgia regions. She stated there are 15 counties included with 30+ members.
Jane Powers Weldon made motion to adjourn; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:42 p.m.