10/4/2010 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m. welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from September 7, 2010 meeting were presented for review and approval. Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to approve; seconded by R. Stanley Chambers. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett will be attending a meeting on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 with Gordon County representatives, Department of Natural Resources and the design firm to clarify some of the drawings for the Resaca Battlefield project. (Note: Chairman Padgett brought drawings regarding the battlefield project to meeting for HPC to review).
- Chairman Padgett stated there are approximately 105 cemeteries documented on the cemetery project as of this date.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC that the arrest charges concerning the Resaca Town Cemetery discussed at the September HPC meeting were changed to a lesser charge of loitering.
- Betty Ann Surdykowski questioned approximately how many cemeteries are left to visit on the cemetery project; Chairman Padgett stated approximately 15 – 20.
- David Mitchell stated a representative of the Latter Day Saints Church left him a message in reference to a cemetery clean-up project. He stated he will contact him and discuss further in reference to this. There was a brief conversation in reference to several cemeteries that need to be cleaned up.
- Chairman Padgett encouraged any HPC members who are able to attend the Cemetery Restoration Workshop in Gainesville on October 18, to do so.
- Chairman Padgett stated he received a speaking request from the Whitfield County HPC at their next meeting scheduled for October 21st. He encouraged anyone that could to attend.
- R. Stanley Chambers questioned if an article could run in the Calhoun Times asking for additional information on cemeteries the HPC may not be aware of.
- Chairman Padgett stated as far as the cemetery book goes there may be 2 – 3 we can’t find.
- Chairman Padgett stated he spoke with Leanne Dixon in regards to a cemetery on her property; she told him she was not aware of any cemetery. She stated someone had told her a cemetery was on the location where their house was built but that she was not familiar; no graves were ever found.
- There was brief discussion as to location of Trimble Cemetery in Red Bud community.
- David Mitchell stated someone told him D.A.R. in Cartersville is doing a project that consists of putting D.A.R. markers on all graves of revolutionary soldiers they find in surrounding areas.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting will be Monday, November 1, 2010 at 6 p.m.. David Mitchell made motion to adjourn; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:15 p.m..