Significant Projects and Activity
- Courthouse Renovation: We remain on schedule for the completion of bid documents and due dates for bids. The dates remain such that the bid documents will be ready by January 30, 2018 and bids due March 6, 2018.
- Animal Shelter: I met with the Architects on Thursday, October 5th to review detailed drawings. A meeting is set tomorrow afternoon with Animal Control and others to review the plans. We are submitting a RFP for Demolition of the fire damaged structure and debris.
- Government Plaza: I have been informed that another sewer line (affecting the South end) needs to be replaced. We think this can be paid for within the established budget for the building.
- Mental Health Building: The facility has been vacant since FHR left at the end of May. The County has posted an RFP for a service provider to occupy the building. Jeff Champion and I took representatives of a local group on a tour last Friday and they seemed to be impressed with the facility. The deadline for RFP submission is 2:00 p.m. on October 27.
- Harris Beamer Landfill: The EPD has issued a requirement to dispose of piles of storm debris at the old landfill. Santek has allowed our use of the chipper they lease from the County and has provided the labor to grind the debris at no charge to the County.
- DFCS Carpet Replacement: Following up with the DFCS request for carpet replacement at the last County Board meeting, Jeff Champion and I met with DFCS officials and toured the facility. The DFCS board will solicit donations of materials from local industries. We expect to bid the project with installation as a separate line item from materials in the expectancy of donations.
- 5311 Program: David Gibson and I met with officials from the 5311 program administrator regarding possible changes in GDOT policy. We are continuing to investigate the changes, but, it appears the County would save money and employee time. Of course, a key component will be assurances that service will be maintained at or better than the current level. We should have more information at the first meeting in November.