11/6/2012 BOC Regular Session Minutes
GORDON COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 6, 2012
The Gordon County Board of Commissioners held their Regular Meeting on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. in the Conference Room of the Administration Building.
Chairman Bailey called the meeting to order.
Chairman Bailey welcomed everyone to the meeting.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Chairman Bailey asked if there were any additions, omissions, or deletions to the Minutes for the Work Session October 16, 2012, and the Regular Meeting October 16, 2012. Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the minutes. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and all voted aye. Minutes approved.
Administrator Dowling read the report.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC – GERMANE TO THE AGENDA
CONSIDERATION OF OLD BUSINESS
- ENERGY EXCISE TAX ORDINANCE – 2ND Reading
County Attorney Smith advised that this is the second reading of the Energy Excise Tax Ordinance. The ordinance is on the agenda for the Boards consideration for approval. No comments or questions have been received for amendments or clarification since the first reading of the ordinance at the last meeting.
Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the ordinance. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and Commissioners Long, Steward, and Hood voted aye. Motion passed.
CONSIDERATION OF NEW BUSINESS
- APPLICATION FOR OFF PREMISES ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CATERING LICENSE FOR SHARKEYS
County Attorney Smith advised the Board that this is for Board consideration of the application from Sharkeys for an Off Premises Alcoholic Beverage Catering License under the new Special Event provision of the new Alcoholic Beverage Ordinance.
Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the application for Sharkeys. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and Commissioners Hood, Steward, and Long voted aye. Motion passed.
- WAIVER OF FEES FOR OFF PREMISES ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CATERING LICENSE FOR SHARKEYS
County Attorney Smith advised that this is a request of a one time waiver of the fees for an Off Premises Alcoholic Beverage Catering license for Sharkeys as requested in the Work Session by Mr. Eric Walkover.
Commissioner Long made a motion to waive the fees for Sharkeys, only for the 2012 calendar year, for an Off Premises Alcoholic Beverage Catering license. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and Commissioners Long, Hood, and Steward voted aye. Motion passed.
- AGREEMENT BETWEEN GORDON COUNTY AND GEORGIA DOT FOR RIGHT-OF-WAY MOWING
County Attorney Smith advised that this is an agreement between the Georgia Department of Transportation and Gordon County for right-of-way mowing on the I-75 interchange exit #312. This is pursuant to the plan for upgrading, improving and cleaning up that exit.
Commissioner Steward made a motion to approve the agreement with the Georgia DOT. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and Commissioner Hood, Steward, and Long voted aye. Motion passed.
- DECLARATION OF SURPLUS PROPERTY FOR THE SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT FOR TWO VEHICLES
County Administrator Dowling advised that this is a declaration of surplus property for the Sheriff’s Department for two vehicles. These are confiscated vehicles, staff recommends that the Board declare them surplus so that the Sheriff’s Office and dispose of the property.
Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the declaration of surplus property for the Sheriff’s Department for two vehicles. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and Commissioners Hood, Steward, and Long voted aye. Motion passed.
- LEASE AGREEMENT WITH THE USDA FOR PROVIDING OFFICE SPACE
County Administrator Dowling advised that this is for Board consideration of a lease agreement with the US Government for providing office space for the USDA and other local agricultural agencies; and to utilize in-house financing for the facility construction.
Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the lease agreement. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion. Commissioner Steward asked if the Board approves using in-house financing for the facility for the USDA facility, will the Board still be able to give employees some sort of raise next year. County Administrator Dowling advised that yes, the funding would be available for a raise for the employees from the Solid Waste Fund. Commissioner Steward commented that he wants to be able to take care of employees, if the Board is going to be taking out a million or so dollars we still need to be able to take care of our people. County Administrator advised that some numbers have already been run on approving raises; the Board can afford this USDA project and at the same time afford at least a 4% cost of living raise for employees. Commissioner Steward commented that the enterprise fund is a fall-back fund in case of hard times, and he just wants to make sure we have enough to give to employees and that the County is financially sound enough to do both. Commissioner Steward further commented that the space at the current Extension Office facility will also help save money during the courthouse renovation; this is money that we won’t have to spend in the future to house courthouse employees. Chairman Bailey called for a vote and Commissioners Long, Steward, and Hood voted aye. Motion passed.
- County Attorney Smith asked the Board for their attention to one more matter of concern. County Attorney Smith advised the Board that Ordinance Office Daniel and the Sheriff’s Department made several cases at the Raceway/SNR Store on Highway 53 and 41 Intersection. The store has an alcoholic beverage license for package beer with the County. The request coming from Ordinance Officer Daniel is to call for a hearing in front of the Board of Commissioners to consider the revocation of the alcoholic beverage license based upon the pending criminal charges that were made. The intent is that we have to serve the owner with notice of that hearing. Our goal is, pending service to the owner is, we will schedule that hearing for the next commission meeting. There is a provision in the ordinance that allows the Board to temporarily suspend the license for no more than 17 days pending one of these hearing. Would the Board wish to consider suspending the license of this business pending the hearing of the Board meeting on November 20. The recommendation from Officer Daniel, County Clerk Berry, and myself as County Attorney for the Board, is to suspend the license until the date certain which will be the next meeting to allow us to put up evidence for the Board to consider revocation of the license.
Commissioner Long made a motion to temporarily suspend the alcoholic beverage license of SNR (Raceway) pending the hearing at the next Commission meeting. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion. Commissioner Long asked that we get an ok from the elected Sheriff stating that he is behind his Ordinance Officer’s recommendation. Commissioner Long, Steward and Hood voted aye. Motion passed.
Commissioner Long made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and all voted aye. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.