12/6/10 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6:05 p.m. welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from November 1, 2010 meeting were presented for review and approval. Jane Powers Weldon made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
Unfinished Business & Reports
- Chairman Padgett had nothing new to report on neither Resaca Battlefield Park nor Fort Wayne Park this month but would possibly have updates at the February 2011 meeting.
- Chairman Padgett passed out a handout listing several known cemeteries that have yet to be located during the ongoing Cemetery Project the HPC are conducting. There was brief discussion regarding the handout. Chairman Padgett informed guests present on details of Cemetery project and current progress of the project.
- David Mitchell introduced Thomas Richardson to HPC members. Thomas Richardson informed HPC of his Boy Scout Troop 108’s interest of a becoming involved with a cemetery project cleanup. Chairman Padgett stated David Mitchell has an active project upcoming that the Troop is more than welcome to become involved with.
- Ed Richardson stated the troop is interested in cleaning a very overgrown cemetery to the immaculate stage as well as document information off the grave markers in the cemetery.
- Chairman Padgett asked Jane Powers Weldon to give an overview of HPC training that was held on November 18, 2010 at the Calhoun Depot. Jane Powers Weldon stated Leigh Burns from the State along with a couple other individuals give an overview of the HPC’s agenda. Chairman Padgett stated the purpose of the meeting was for regional HPC’s to gather together with the State and give an overview of what they would like to accomplish within the next five years. Jane Powers Weldon stated the training was well attended by regional HPC’s.
Chairman Padgett stated after the HPC training on November 18, 2010 there was a joint meeting with the City of Calhoun Historic Preservation Commission. He stated the meeting was very informative as far as historic districts trying to be established within the City of Calhoun, particularly the College and Line Street area.
- Chairman Padgett brought brochures for HPC members titled, Resaca Battlefield Driving Tour, which is distributed by the Friends of Resaca. There was brief discussion to contents and purpose of Resaca Battlefield Driving Tour. Chairman Padgett suggested gathering information for a brochure for all state historic markers in Gordon County, which he already has a listed compiled of. He stated he will begin to work on that and asked Jane Powers Weldon if she would assist with it as well. Betty Ann Surdykowski stated there was a Stand Watie driving tour, approximately 40 mile driving tour. She stated she will access the driving tour from the Chamber of Commerce archives and distribute to the HPC members. Jane Powers Weldon suggested dividing the county into several smaller tours.
- Chairman Padgett questioned the HPC of any other interests they have for the upcoming year. Betty Ann Surdykowski suggested compiling a list of names of those that have owned historic homes in the County. Chairman Padgett stated the Hicks family has asked the HPC to look at their historic property, which is the oldest structure in Gordon County as well as one of the oldest still standing in the State. Betty Ann Surdykowski stated she also had spoken with the family out at the Mill, and suggested this upcoming spring would be a good time for the HPC to visit the property.
- Chairman Padgett gave a brief history overview Hix property to guests.
- Chairman Padgett, along with Betty Ann Surydkowski and Jane Powers Weldon, congratulated R. Stanley Chambers and David Mitchell for their appointment on the Board of Directors of the Historical Society. Chairman Padgett stated the Historical Society open house will be this upcoming Sunday, December 12, 2010 from 2 pm – 4 pm.
- Chairman Padgett distributed a Tri-State Civil War brochure in regards to the upcoming Sesquicentennial Civil War Celebration.
- Chairman Padgett stated plans are being discussed for a Locomotive Festival to be held in conjunction with Calhoun’s Taste of Calhoun in 2012.
- Chairman Padgett opened floor for discussion. He stated 95% of cemetery information compiled has been forward to Donna Reeve with Gordon County GIS department. He stated another ad will run in the Calhoun Times asking for the public’s assistance in locating cemeteries the HPC has not been able to locate or are not aware of. There was no further discussion.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 3, 2011 at 6 p.m.. Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:33 p.m.