Getting Started with the Permit Process
If you have plans to build, renovate, add accessory or agricultural structures in the future please be aware that permits may be required depending to the scope of work you will be doing. How will you know if a permit is required? The easiest way is to call the Gordon County Building, Planning and Development office at 706-629-0505 or come by our office at 200 S. Wall Street next door to the courthouse. You can then explain what you would like to do and be advised as to whether a permit will be necessary. Typically, if your project is over 120 square foot you will need to obtain a permit.
What is required to obtain a permit?
- A copy of your recorded deed and plat of your property. Available at the Gordon County Clerk of Court office in the main courthouse at 100 South Wall Street Calhoun, Georgia 30701.
- A copy of your septic permit from Gordon County Environmental Health Dept., 706-624-1440, located at the Gordon County Health Dept. located on North River Street (Sugar Valley Rd.) next door to the National Guard Armory. If your project does not involve connecting to an existing septic system or adding a new system you will need to obtain a document from Environmental Health indicating you will not be interfering with an existing septic system.
- A street address for the project. Contact Gordon County Emergency Management at 706-602-2905 if you do not currently have a street number for assistance.
- One set of building plans. Plans are not required for most agricultural or accessory buildings.
- A fire permit is required for commercial, industrial and multi-family dwelling projects. This permit can be obtained from the Gordon County Fire Prevention Office, 706-629-7741.
Important Telephone Numbers While Building
Gordon County Building, Planning and Development: 706-629-0505
(permits for buildings, electrical, plumbing, heat/air, manufactured homes and land disturbing)
Gordon County Planning and Development: 706-879-2175
(zoning, land use and business licenses)
Gordon County Emergency Management: 706-602-2905
(obtaining an address)
Gordon County Environmental Health: 706-624-1440
Gordon County Fire Prevention: 706-629-7741