1/3/12 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6:00 p.m.; welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from November 7, 2011 were presented for review and approval. David Mitchell made motion to approve minutes, seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett informed HPC bids will be out spring 2012 for Resaca State Battlefield site. County Administrator, Randy Dowling, contacted Chairman Padgett approximately 3 weeks ago, to inform Chairman Padgett that the Fort Wayne project is scheduled to start this month. Chairman Padgett stated Fort Wayne project will start mid to late January and will take approximately one year to complete.
- Chairman Padgett stated there are several cemeteries to be visited, some received damage from tornado in December.
- R. Stanley Chambers stated the Oakleigh Historic house was part of the Tour of Homes recently; which had a great turn out. David Mitchell stated Jim Lay informed him of a substantial donation from former owner of the home, Austin Brown. Jane Powers Weldon stated Mr. Brown has expressed interest in being involved in an upcoming project.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated the City HCP has a scheduled meeting on Wednesday, January 4, 2012.
- There was brief discussion on Christmas tree in front of courthouse and article in Calhoun Times regarding the Christmas tree.
- Chairman Padgett stated the GPS historic markers project should be complete this winter.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Civil War Trust is in the process of purchasing 51 acres on the Chitwood Farm. He stated there will be parking area, interpretative signage and access trails for general public. Friends of Resaca purchased the acre of land of the Cherokee Battery site. He stated of the $150,000 project, $77,000 has already been raised.
- Chairman Padgett stated Calhoun will have a 150th anniversary celebration of the Great Locomotive Chase on April 14, 2012. He stated the State of Georgia will start their celebration on April 12th, 2012, the actual anniversary date, at the Southern Museum of Locomotive and Civil War History in Kennesaw, Georgia.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated April 14, 2012 is also the opening date of New Harmonies Exhibit at the Harris Arts Center.
- Chairman Padgett stated tentative plans are to have Barry Brown, author of Crossroads of Conflict, signing autographs. Hopefully the GEM Theatre will partner with the chamber in showing the Great Locomotive Chase, as well as the silent movie. He stated they are looking into the 8th Regimental Civil War band play as well, either at the Depot or the GEM.
- Chairman Padgett stated two weeks later Calhoun will be having the first annual barbeque cook‐off, hosted by the Kansas City BBQ Association, which is the oldest and largest in the country.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated the String Band Festival is first weekend in May at the Fairgrounds.
- Chairman Padgett stated next meeting will be February 6, 2012 at 6 p.m., due to upcoming activities. Chairman Padgett stated he spoke with Elizabeth from Calhoun Times and the paper wants to become involved with historical commission and various other organizations.
- Jane Powers Weldon informed HPC members that library renovations are expected to begin spring 2012.
- Jane Powers Weldon made motion to adjourn; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:20 p.m.