SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS AND ACTIVITY
- SPECIAL ELECTION FOR GEORGIA HOUSE DISTRICT 5: The Special Election run-off will be held on February 5, 2019. Early voting will be available at the Elections Office from January 28 through February 1.
- HEALTH DEPARTMENT: To update the report from last week, the Health Department does not expect a decision on the availability of WIC funding for construction until August 2019. Therefore, the architects will proceed with the design considering WIC funds may not be available.
- DFCS FLOOR: The new flooring is being installed now.
- ANIMAL CONTROL: The Pole Barn construction is progressing with the exterior work near completion.
- REDBONE RIDGES LANDFILL: Several reports to The Department of Natural Resources are due at this time of year. The Storm Water Report has been filed and the Title V Emissions Report will be filed this week. The reports do not show any deviations from allowable or permitted limits.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Chairperson Hood and County staff met with Taylor English Decisions on Friday to move forward on countywide planning for economic development opportunities.
- COMMERCIAL PROJECT: The County received notice that a commercial development to be located at the southwest corner of the intersection of Dews Pond Road and Lovers Lane Road is planning a groundbreaking to be held around March 1st this year. This ground breaking will be the culmination of many months of planning and negotiation by the Development Authority, Calhoun, and Gordon County. The initial investment by the developer is expected to exceed ten million dollars.
- ANNEXATION NOTICE: Gordon County has received a notice of intent for the annexation of 0.23 acres into the City of Calhoun. This is an empty lot adjacent to 124 Dogwood Drive and is shown as parcel GC67-012. The property has an assessed value of $4,800. The Public Hearing before the Calhoun City Council is set for February 11, 2019, at 7: p.m.