Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:00 p.m.
Gordon County remains under a a Winter Weather Warning from today through 7:00 p.m. Saturday. Gordon County could see 1″ to 4″ of snow. The snow could arrive between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. lasting through out the evening and into the early morning hours.
Gordon County is expected to experience rain, sleet, snow, freezing temperatures, and high winds.
Gordon County Government will close all non-emergency offices at 2:30 p.m. today (Friday January 22, 2016) due to pending weather advisories.
GDOT has reported that they will begin treating all state highways beginning at 3:00 p.m. and they have requested that motorist remain off of the highways if possible.
The Gordon County Emergency Management, Fire & Rescue Department, Public Works Department, and Sheriff’s Office are all monitoring the winter weather and have their personnel and resources ready to respond.
Gordon County Animal Control Center Closed
Due to the inclement weather. The Gordon County Animal Control Center will be closed to the public.
Latest NOAA Weather Information
1111 AM EST FRI JAN 22 2016
…WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY…
- LOCATIONS…MAINLY NORTH OF A CEDAR GROVE TO CALHOUN LINE.
- HAZARDS…A MIX OF RAIN…FREEZING RAIN…SLEET AND SNOW. SNOW MAY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
- TIMING…A MIX OF RAIN…FREEZING RAIN…AND SLEET…BECOMING MIXED WITH SNOW THIS AFTERNOON…THEN BECOMING ALL SNOW LATE TONIGHT…AND CONTINUING INTO SATURDAY.
- ACCUMULATIONS…IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS…UP TO .10 INCH OF ICE THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES IN THE VALLEYS WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES ON THE RIDGES.
- IMPACTS…FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. HEAVY SNOW…ICING AND WINDY CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY DOWN TREES AND POWER LINES RESULTING IN POWER OUTAGES.
- WINDS…WINDS WILL BRIEFLY DECREASE THIS AFTERNOON BEFORE INCREASING ONCE AGAIN THIS EVENING WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH POSSIBLE.
- TEMPERATURES…WILL DROP TO NEAR FREEZING AND THEN REMAIN AT OR BELOW FREEZING THROUGH SATURDAY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW… SLEET…AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 9:00 p.m.
Gordon County offices will be open at regular business hours on Friday, January 22, 2016
Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
The latest National Weather Service update predicts with a high confidence that winter precipitation will occur across north Georgia, and the Governor has declared a state of emergency for 15 counties, including Gordon County.
Due to prediction of below freezing temperatures, combined with the possibility of sleet and freezing rain, Gordon County non emergency offices will be closed on Wednesday, January 20th.
Gordon County regrets any inconvenience this closure may cause, but the safety of our citizens and first responders are our priority.