On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, the National Weather Service updated local the weather forecast with the following information:
Gordon County has been taken out of the warning and placed in an advisory.
What Has Changed:
- The Winter Storm Warning has been replaced with a Winter Weather Advisory
- Temperatures will be a little warmer and snowfall amounts a little lowerSummary:Precipitation is moving into far northwest Georgia however there are only a few reports of snow near the back edge in Alabama at this time. Ahead of the front, temperatures are a little warmer than expected and will make it more difficult for significant snow to accumulate later this morning. The storm system is still expected to move out of the area by this afternoon with temperatures going below freezing by sunset. Refreezing of any water left on roads will still be possible this evening!Threats/Timing:
- Snow: The rain will change to snow as the back edge of the precip moves through
- Between 8 and 10 am in northwest Georgia
- Between 10 am and noon in the Atlanta metro area and west-central and northeast Georgia
- Up to 1 inch of snow is possible, mainly on grassy surfaces
- Black Ice: Refreezing of liquid on roads remains possible after sunset
- Wind Chills: Wind chill values will drop to 15 to 20 over all of north and central Georgia after the front moves through.
- Gusty Winds: Winds will gust to 25 to 30 mph behind the front this afternoon, then decrease after sunset.See graphics below for more info on the warnings and advisories and the expected snow totals.
On Monday, January 28, 2019, Gordon County and the City of Calhoun public safety and public works departments took part in a weather briefing with the National Weather Service.
Northwest Georgia has been upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning and will see a strong arctic cold front Tuesday that will bring a chance for accumulating snow to portions of north and west central GA and areas of black ice across both north and central GA. Possible impacts and bitterly cold temps may linger into Wednesday with gusty winds up to 30 MPH with cold temps resulting in wind chills of low to mid teens with single digits in the mountains.
What: Winter Storm Warning mainly north of a line from Rome to Jasper to Cleveland. Winter Weather Advisory over much of north-central Georgia, including Atlanta and suburbs.
When: In effect from 3 AM – 7 PM Tuesday. Rain transition to snow from NW to SE – end by mid-afternoon. Most areas will warm to above freezing after 12 p.m. on Wednesday. Any snow accumulations would delay warming. Far north higher elevations have the greatest chance for snow to stick around.
Amounts: 1 to 3” of snow within the Winter Storm Warning, with locally higher amounts possible in higher elevations.
Impacts: Snow accumulations may lead to difficult travel conditions. Patches of black ice will be possible, even in areas with little or no snow accumulation as temperatures quickly fall below freezing.
Closings: At this time, Gordon County Government offices will postpone opening until 11:00 a.m. Gordon County will continue to monitor the weather conditions and will post an update concerning the closings if needed.
Gordon County Schools and Calhoun City Schools are closed on Tuesday.