2/1/2010 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m. welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from January 4, 2010 were presented for review and approval. Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to approve minutes; seconded by David Mitchell. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett questioned HPC members what date they are available for a press release and photo with the Calhoun Times in regards to presenting the Calhoun Historical Society as well as Calhoun-Gordon County Library with a CD copy of the historic resource study. A date was set for Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 9:30 a.m. at Calhoun Times.
- Chairman Padgett updated HPC to progress with Resaca Battlefield Park. He stated the redesign has been completed for the museum and interpretative center, the alteration on the roadway has also been completed. He stated the architect from Atlanta will be looking into moving location of building as well as roadway. Bids for the project should be going out any day.
- Chairman Padgett stated the cemetery project is progressing very well. There are currently 104 cemeteries completed as of this date. David Mitchell stated there has been a good response from article in the Calhoun Times. There was a brief discussion to various cemeteries.
- Chairman Padgett presented requirements for National Register document for the HPC to review if they’d like. He stated he attended a meeting with Department of Natural Resources on January 14, 2010 in regards to application for national register status. The application process usually takes 8 months – 1 year for completion.
- Chairman Padgett congratulated City of Calhoun HPC for the downtown area being registered on the National Register. He stated at this time there is one building downtown that is being refurbished.
- Ursula Desrosier questioned the HPC when they would like to reschedule their September 2010 meeting, which is currently scheduled for Labor Day. September meeting will be rescheduled for Tuesday, September 7, 2010.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC the cemetery book with information being compiled is available for their review.
- David Mitchell mentioned possibly looking into having the Amanda Frix cemetery cleaned up. Chairman Padgett stated the cemetery survey needs to be completed before any cemetery clean up takes place. There was a brief discuss on possibly obtaining volunteers for cemetery clean up. Betty Ann Surdykowski said the boy scouts would possibly be an option. There was a brief discussion concerning cemetery locations.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is March 1, 2010 at 6:00 p.m. at the library. Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:30 p.m.