2/6/12 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 5:55 p.m.; welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from January 3, 2012 meeting were presented for review and approval. Jane Powers Weldon made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett stated he spoke with Department of Natural Resources (DNR) representative last Thursday and was informed that bid process for Resaca Battlefield project would be out in May. Project is anticipated to be completed by end of 2012. He stated D.O.T. keeps changing requirements for road improvement across I-75 on Highway 136.
- Fort Wayne project is set to begin any day with anticipated completion around December 2012. He stated 150 years ago in December, Civil War Governor, Joseph E. Brown, designated the Fort to be constructed at this location.
- No new information to report on ongoing cemetery project.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated the Gordon County Historical Society’s project is ongoing.
- No information to report on Calhoun HPC.
- Chairman Padgett stated Civil War Trust will be closing on 51 acres around the Cherokee Battery in Resaca on the Chitwood Farm; all funds are in place.
- Chairman Padgett stated meetings have been taking place the last three months with Georgia Department of Economic Development along with every historical society from Ringgold to Marietta in regards to the 150th Great Locomotive Chase celebration. Calhoun’s celebration is set for April 14, 2012 at the GEM Theatre around 2:00 p.m. He stated Barry Brown, author of Crossroads of Conflict, will be signing his book as well as promoting historic tourism in Georgia. Chairman Padgett stated he will be doing a light humored story of the chase as it occurred in Gordon County. They will also be playing segments of the General, Buster Keaton silent film, at the GEM Theater. The main presentation will be The Great Locomotive Chase, the Disney film. He stated Adairsville will be hosting a three day festival. Chairman Padgett stated he pulled old articles from 100th Anniversary of Great Locomotive Chase in the 1962 Calhoun Times and made copies for anyone interested. There was brief discussion of articles.
- Chairman Padgett informed HPC members of Annual HPC conference to be held on April 19th and April 20th, 2012 in Roswell. Details of conference will be released at a later date.
- There was brief discussion to Governor’s proposed budget cuts. There was brief discussion to changing meeting time. Meeting time will remain at 6:00 p.m.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 5, 2012. Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:05 p.m.