2/7/2023 BOC Regular Session Minutes
Gordon County Board of Commissioners
Regular Session Minutes
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Judicial Building Assembly Room – 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Commissioners: Chair M.L. “Bud” Owens, Vice-Chair Kevin Cunningham, Chad Steward, Bruce Potts, Kurt Sutherland; County Administrator Jim Ledbetter, Executive Assistant Keith King, approximately 18 guests
Call To Order – Chair Owens called the meeting to order.
Employees with hire dates in February
Commissioner Steward read the names of the employees’ years of service.
Approval of Minutes
Work Session Minutes for January 17, 2023 – Vice-Chair Cunningham made a motion to approve the minutes, seconded by Commissioner Sutherland. The motion carried 5-0.
Regular Session Minutes for January 17, 2023 – Commissioner Sutherland made a motion to approve the minutes, seconded by Vice-Chair Cunningham. The motion carried 5-0.
Approval of the Agenda
Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve the agenda, seconded by Commissioner Sutherland. The motion carried 5-0.
Mr. Ledbetter presented the Administrator’s Report to the Commission.
Vice-Chair Cunningham stated in the last three (3) weeks outside of daily operations, they attended the Fire Banquet and thanked the Fire Department for all they do. Attended the recent meeting with Comcast.
Commissioner Steward stated he also attended the Fire Banquet as well as the Work Session held on February 3rd. Stated he also attended the Baxter Dean Runway Show with the funds going towards a scholarship sponsored by them and to the United Way as well.
Commissioner Potts stated on January 19th he received an invitation to speak at the Delta Kappa Gamma Society, a national society of international professionals of women educators, on behalf of the County. Also on January 19th, attended the Keep Gordon County Beautiful monthly meeting and participated in the Adopt-A-Mile cleanup on Curtis Parkway. On the 24th, attended a planning session for the Annual Recycle event which will be held on Saturday, March 18th. January 26th scheduled a visit with Redbone Ridge Waste Management Facility; met with Craig Sparks at Parks and Recreation for departmental updates and upcoming events and presented a brief report; visited with Ann Bradford at the Senior Center and presented a brief report. Attended Harris Heart Center on January 28th ‘Thankfull Event’. Attended the Cartersville Bartow Incident Management meeting on February 2, and discussed an upcoming meeting with GDOT. Observed an Active Shooter Response in Cartersville and Ansley Schroeder with 511 Georgia made a presentation. Attended the ACCG Legislative Update online on February 2nd via Zoom and scheduled to attend the Legislative Breakfast March 9th at the Capitol; attended the Work Session on March 3rd.
Stated on February 1st, he visited Public Works for departmental updates and presented a brief report; also met with Building & Grounds; stated he had a few calls from concerned citizens.
Stated on January 19, Chief Elected Officers in Rome as well as Northwest Georgia Regional Commission; January 23rd lunch meeting with Vice-Chair Cunningham and Mr. Ledbetter regarding annual initiatives and upcoming meetings; January 24th met with the Development Authority of Gordon County; January 25th met with GDOT virtually; January 26th the Georgia Regional I EMS Council met and EMA Director Courtney Taylor attended on Chair Owens behalf; January 30th met with Tim Reeves, our regional GEMA Coordinator; February 1st met with Northwest Georgia Regional Council reps, County Administration, Mayor Palmer and Councilman Moyer with the City of Calhoun regarding the Comprehensive Plan as well as SPLOST. On February 1st, visited with Courtney Taylor at EMA; February 2nd had a lunch meeting with Commissioner Potts; February 3rd, had a meeting with Mr. Ledbetter, Mr. King, and Comcast representatives and later held a Work Session with Commission to discuss general items regarding budget planning and to review the calendar for planning initiatives; checked in with Animal Control via phone on February 6th.
Public Hearing for Zoning
Consideration of Unfinished Business
Consideration of New Business
- Recognition of Recent Donations to Gordon County: Mr. Ledbetter presented the item to the Commission, stated no action was necessary.
- Adopt Resolution Appointing County Records Custodian and Open Records Clerk and Adopting Records Retention Policy: Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Steward. The motion carried 5-0.
- Application for Malt Beverage, Wine, and/or Liquor License: Timothy L. Otis / George R. Banks American Legion Post 305 2962 Highway 411 SE, Fairmount, Georgia 30139. Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Steward. The motion carried 4-1, Vice-Chair Cunningham being the nay vote.
- Request from Gordon County Fire Department to award a bid to purchase five (5) thermal cameras in the amount of $36,522 to Georgia Fire and Rescue Supply: This item is below original approved budgeted cost and will be budgeted using the Fire Fund. Additionally, consider recommendation to surplus items deemed no longer useful by the Fire Department.
Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Commissioner Sutherland made a motion to approve, seconded by Vice-Chair Cunningham. The motion carried 5-0.
- Request from Gordon County Sheriff’s Office to approve a proposal to award a bid for the purchase of a camera system at the Gordon County Justice Center in the amount of $365,000 to Telenet Systems using Sheriff’s Office Budget from the General Fund: This will require a budget increase in the amount of $65,000. Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Commissioner Steward made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Potts. The motion carried 5-0.
- Discuss proposal of spay-neuter program fees: Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Vice-Chair Cunningham made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Sutherland. The motion carried 5-0.
- Consideration of Easement for City Utilities: Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Mr. Ledbetter stated the motion would be to allow the City of Calhoun to install a water line on Gordon County property, as long as it does not interfere with operations of County or tenant, as well as the condition, if feasible, to remove the Oak trees that would be continuous to the water line.
Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve the City of Calhoun Water Department request to run a 12” in water main on Lovers Lane Road with a condition that they work with Steve Parris to take care of the Oak trees that would be affected by this water line, seconded by Commissioner Sutherland. The motion carried 5-0.
Commissioner Potts made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Commissioner Steward. The motion carried 5-0.