3/7/2011 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m.; welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from February 7, 2011 meeting were presented for review and approval. David Mitchell made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett reported no new information on Resaca Battlefield or Fort Wayne projects. He stated one new black cemetery had been located at White Graves Baptist Church, which has been destroyed by pulpwooding. He stated he was able to view the Freeman home, an antebellum house that is vacant, located off White Graves Church Road.
- David Mitchell made reference to a letter concerning Wright Cemetery, which himself and Chairman Padgett located one day behind chicken houses on Wrights Hollow Road.
- Ursula Desrosier presented HPC members with updated list of all cemeteries within Gordon County.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Chitwood Farm easement has been complete as of Friday March 4, 2011. He stated Gordon County holds easement to 477 acres at the Chitwood Farm.
- Chairman Padgett stated himself along with Betty Ann Surdykowski will be attending HPD training this upcoming weekend in Carrollton. Chairman Padgett will also be attending another training conference in Macon, Georgia.
- Betty Ann Surdykowski gave brief overview of Calhoun HPC meeting she attended.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC members that the Rockdale Plantation owners have a hearing in Federal Court on Wednesday, March 16 in regards to the home being in foreclosure.
- On Saturday, March 12 at 10:30 a.m. the Rockdale Plantation will be open for viewing by the Trail of Tears Association.
- On Saturday April 2, 2011 Friends of Resaca will be hosting Civil War Trust Park day. He stated the Confederate Cemetery will be cleaned that day along with an adjacent lot.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Town of Resaca has contacted him in regards to the Taylor House in Resaca. The home, which is listed on the N ational Registry, may be torn down. He stated he has checked with the State HPD and there is nothing prohibiting the house from being torn down. He stated when the highway is widened by the DOT the survey tapes will be approximately 11 inches off the front porch of the home, and there is not enough land to set the right of way back any further. Chairman Padgett is attempting to organize a meeting between Town of Resaca, DO T and the state HPD to discuss all options.
- David Mitchell gave brief overview of dedication service of the Coggins monument held Saturday March 5, at East Damascus Baptist Church. The Sons of the American Revolution placed a bronzer marker at Coggins grave, who was a revolutionary war soldier.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting will Monday, April 4, 2011 at 6 p.m. R. Stanley Chambers made motion to adjourn; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:20 p.m.