Gordon County Board of Commissioners
Work Session Minutes
Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Judicial Building Assembly Room – 5:00 PM
PRESENT: Commissioners: Chair Bud Owens, Vice-Chair Kevin Cunningham, Chad Steward, Bruce Potts, and Kurt Sutherland; County Administrator and Attorney Jim Ledbetter, County Clerk Hollis Barton, Animal Control Director Sue Henson, Courtney Taylor, Debbie Vance, Angie Gillman; Blake Silvers
- Discussion of Regular Session Agenda Items
- Administrator Ledbetter gave an overview of the agenda items.
- For Board Consideration
- Departmental Report by Animal Control: Ms. Henson thanked the Commission for their recent approval to waive adoption fees and stated they have been working with the rescue groups and other agencies in the area. Stated they recently purchased a sixteen foot (16’) livestock trailer from South Carolina and have transitioned programming intake into a web-based program. Stated the public is utilizing the low cost spay and neuter program, with over 2,500 customers at the beginning of this year. Stated for the departmental needs, they are not able to stay open on Saturdays at this time due to staffing and growth within the County; hoping to add staff to be able to be out in the field more and assist the public. Ms. Henson stated they have not added an additional employee since 2005 or 2006, and is currently operating with a staff of six (6) employees. Stated they had 175 complaints in the last month alone. Stated one (1) employee will go in on Saturdays and Sundays to clean and feed the animals. Mr. Ledbetter asked Ms. Henson if she had budgeted for any additional employees for this year’s budget. Ms. Henson stated she was assessing her options and considered adding a few part-time positions. This concluded Animal Control’s report.
- Reminders and Information
- Next Commission Meeting: March 21, 2023
- Board Appointments
- ACCG Annual Training Calendar
- SPLOST and LOST Collection Report
- Executive Session to discuss litigation, property acquisition, and/or personnel
- Commissioner Potts made a motion to enter into Executive Session, seconded by Vice-Chair Cunningham. The motion carried 5-0.
- Upon exiting the Executive Session, Vice-Chair Cunningham made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Commissioner Potts. No action was taken. The motion carried 5-0.