- SPLOST AND LOST: Keith and I met in Fairmount on Monday with Mayor Brannon and Mayor Pro Temp Mauldin to discuss the next SPLOST referendum. We will meet with Resaca and Plainville later this week.
- BUDGET: Budget planning continues. I will be reviewing Departmental requests through this month with Budget meetings between the Finance Director, those Departments and me commencing at month’s end. Subsequently, we anticipate a budget work session with the BOC and publishing the recommended budget on May 17.
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS AND ACTIVITY
- CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS: 1960s Courthouse: The porch on the Piedmont Street side has been demoed and is being rebuilt. Trim work has begun on the first and second floor. First coat of paint has been applied on the first and second floors. Ceiling grids and lights are installed on the first and second floors. Flooring has started on the first floor.
Administration Building: The work on the roof, cornices and gutters should commence in May and last into July.
Public Works: Building renovations should commence in the coming weeks.
- EMS QUALITY REVIEW AND PUBLIC SAFETY: These committees met last Friday and reviewed emergency response volumes, times and services.
- COMPREHENSIVE PLAN: We are currently updating the Community Work Program and Report of Accomplishments. We will host a Public Hearing for citizen input on the Comprehensive Plan in the Assembly room on March 30 at 4:00 p.m.
- IMPACT FEE STUDY: Officials of Calhoun and Gordon County met with an Impact Fee specialist this month as we discuss the feasibility and need for Impact Fees to offset the public costs of major developments.
- BOONE FORD ROAD: Gordon County has asked an engineering firm to look at the Allen Mountain area of Boone Ford Road to determine whether modifications are feasible for public safety reasons. Boone Ford Road was built by the State of Georgia before it was later transferred to Gordon County.
- ANNEXATION REQUEST: Gordon County has received notice of a proposed annexation into Calhoun for a major subdivision that will impact Boone Ford Rd.