4/2/2012 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Gordon County Historic Preservation Commission
April 2, 2012
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6:10 p.m.; welcoming all
in attendance. Minutes from March 5, 2012 were presented for review and approval.
Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to approve minutes; seconded by David Mitchell.
All voted aye.
Unfinished Business & Reports
- Chairman Padgett reported on his attendance to a construction pre-bid meeting on Thursday, March 29, 2012 in reference to the Resaca State Battlefield Project. Bids will be awarded by May 1st, with a projected start date of June 1st and project must be completed by March 2013. He stated approximately 20 contractors from around the state attended the meeting. Chairman Padgett stated all permits have been issued and once bids are awarded project can begin.
- Gordon County is anticipating Fort Wayne project to be completed by June 2013.
- No new updates on cemetery project.
- No updates on Gordon County Historical Society.
- GPS on historic markers project has been delayed until summer.
- Chairman Padgett reviewed the festivities of the 150th Great Locomotive Chase Celebration on April 14, 2012. He encouraged everyone to attend.
- Chairman Padgett stated a new historical marker will be dedicated on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at the Calhoun Depot. Time will be announced when a time has been determined. He stated they are trying to pinpoint the approximate time the Chase came through Calhoun. The marker will depict the history of the Depot and the Great Locomotive Chase and be placed somewhere in the vicinity of the pavilion.
- Chairman Padgett gave brief overview of Archaeological Tour the commission attended on March 16, 2012 at New Echota.
- Anyone that can attend the HPC Conference in Roswell, GA on April 19 – 20, 2012 is encouraged to do so.
Chairman Padgett asked the HPC for their input of mid-term and long-term goals of the
- R. Stanley Chambers questioned if the Commission could appoint specific properties as historic locations within the county. There was brief discussion of certain properties within Gordon County that are historic.
- Betty Ann Surdykowski suggested designate certain properties that are historic and obtain pictures and historical research on the properties as well.
- Chairman Padgett would like to have a budget within the county to place one state approved historic marker per year. He stated the cost for one marker is $2,500; once the marker is placed the state maintains the marker.
Next meeting is Monday, May 7, 2012 at 6 p.m.. David Mitchell made motion to adjourn;
seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:25