4/4/2011 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m., welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from March 7, 2011 meeting were presented for review and approval. David Mitchell made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett stated there was a meeting earlier this month with DNR and representatives from Gordon County in regards to the Resaca Battlefield project. He stated an interpretative sign will be placed at the roadside entrance into the park depicting tentative plans for the park prior to the reenactment in May. Dirt for the roadway will be moved sometime in September and no later than October of this year.
- Chairman Padgett there has been one additional cemetery located since the last HPC meeting in March.
- Chairman Padgett stated himself, along with Betty Ann Surdykowski and David Mitchell attended a very informative training session in Carrolton, Georgia. Betty Ann Surdykowski gave brief overview of training. David Mitchell gave overview of training session himself and Chairman Padgett attended at training.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Macon training he attended was excellent, great networking. He stated the training was geared towards historic tourism. He stated Preservation of Georgia Trust gave an excellent presentation. He stated there were approximately 125 persons in attendance. He stated he had the opportunity to tour the historic Hay house in downtown Macon and the Douglas Theatre, which has been restored.
- Jane Powers Weldon gave update on progress of Calhoun HCP. She presented HPC members with a new redrawn map of the Calhoun Historic District. She stated the next meeting for the City HPC is this upcoming Wednesday and she stated she would email an update after the meeting to the County HPC members.
- Chairman Padgett stated Park Day, the previous Saturday, was held at the Confederate Cemetery. He stated there were 22 volunteers who assisted with the cemetery cleanup.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Hix family has approximately 3 weeks to pay the bank approximately one half million dollars to avoid foreclosure of the Rockdale Plantation.
- Chairman Padgett stated he would like to have GPS location on all state historical markers in Gordon County furnished by the Georgia Historical Society.
- David Mitchell stated himself along with R. Stanley Chambers and Chairman Padgett met with a Ms. Lancaster a few weeks back. He stated she was full of information that needs to be captured before she is no longer able to share it with someone. He stated it would be great idea if someone could do a tape recorded interview with her.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated the Historical Society along with the Arts Center have a joint oral history project. She stated she could possibly find someone to conduct the interview.
- Ursula Desrosier stated with upcoming budget cuts the HPC needs to decide if they would like to continue to meet monthly with no education classes or meet bi-monthly with one education class. There was brief discussion to these changes. Chairman Padgett stated the HPC could make a decision at the May meeting in regards to these changes.
Chairman Padgett stated Dan McBee with New Echota River Alliance will be attending the next HPC meeting on May 2, 2011 at 6 p.m.
Betty Ann Surdykowski made motion to adjourn; seconded by Jane Powers Weldon. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:37 p.m..