BOC Regular Session Minutes for 5/1/2012
GORDON COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
MAY 1, 2012
The Gordon County Board of Commissioners held their Regular Meeting on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, at 10:00 a.m. in the Conference Room of the Administration Building.
Chairman Bailey called the meeting to order.
Chairman Bailey welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Employees with Anniversary Hire Dates in May
Chairman Bailey read the list of employees with anniversary hire dates in May. Commissioner Steward drew the name of Jonathan Johnston with the Sheriff’s Department as Employee of the Month.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Chairman Bailey asked if there were any additions, omissions, or deletions to the Minutes for the Work Session April 17, 2012 and the Regular Meeting April 17, 2012. Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the minutes. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and all voted aye. Minutes approved.
Administrator Dowling read the report.
Chairman Bailey advised that the Board sends condolences to the Bailey family for the loss of Bill Bailey, and the City of Calhoun, for the loss of their City Attorney.
County Attorney Smith advised the Board that the closings have been completed on the two parcels that were needed for the County communication system. The Board had previously approved a purchase amount and we were able to acquire those parcels within the figure that had been approved by the Board. When the deeds are returned, they will be given to the County Clerk to attach to the minutes to comply with State statute in that regard. The consultant had identified two parcels that needed to be acquired to fulfill the needs of the County Communication System, one parcel is located on Firetower Road in Fairmount and was purchased from Frank Watts, the property owner. The second parcel that was identified also has a Firetower Road address, but it’s the Firetower Road in Calhoun, totally separate road. That property was acquired from property owners Watts and Holt. Both property owners have been paid and the deeds have been signed and are recording. That will complete that process and it was acquired within the timeframe specified by the consultants.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC – GERMANE TO THE AGENDA
CONSIDERATION OF OLD BUSINESS
CONSIDERATION OF NEW BUSINESS
- REAPPOINTMENT TO AIRPORT AUTHORITY FOR THOMAS OWENS FOR A THREE-YEAR TERM ENDING JUNE 30, 2015
- County Administrator Dowling advised the Board that this is for reappointment of Thomas Owens to the Airport Authority for a three year term expiring June 30, 2015. This request comes to the Board of Commissioners from the Airport Authority as a recommendation.
- Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the reappointment of Thomas Owens to the Airport Authority. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and Commissioners Hood, Steward, and Long voted aye. Motion passed.
- SERVICE AGREEMENT WITH NORTH GEORGIA COMMUNITY ACTION TO OPERATE THE SECTION 5311 RURAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM FOR 2012/2013
- Administrator Dowling advised that this is the annual service agreement with North Georgia Community Action to operate the three public bus transportation program.
- Commissioner Long made a motion to approve the service agreement. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and Commissioners Long, Steward, and Hood voted aye. Motion passed.
- APPOINTMENT TO THE CALHOUN/GORDON COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD TO FILL AN UNEXPIRED TERM ENDING 1/1/2015
- Administrator Dowling advised that this is an appointment to the Calhoun/Gordon County Library Board to fill and unexpired term ending January 1, 2015. It is a recommendation from the Library Board to appoint Fred Penick to fill the unexpired term of Colleen Brooks’.
- Commissioner Steward made a motion to appoint Fred Penick to the Library Board. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and Commissioner Steward, Hood, and Long voted aye. Motion passed.
- CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYEE HEALTH INSURANCE
- Chairman Bailey asked for a motion giving the Chairman the authorization to sign the contract for employee health insurance with the stipulation that our insurance agent, John Meadows, will look into moving the stop loss from $105,000 to $125,000.
- Commissioner Long made the motion authorizing the Chairman to sign the contract. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and Commissioners Long, Steward, and Hood voted aye. Motion passed.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC – GENERAL
- County Attorney advised the Board that she is requesting an Executive Session for potential or pending litigation.
- Commissioner Long made a motion to go into Executive Session for pending or potential litigation. Commissioner Hood seconded the motion and all vote aye. Executive Session began at 10:15 a.m.
- Commissioner Long made a motion to adjourn the Executive Session. Commissioner Steward seconded the motion and all voted aye. Executive Session adjourned at 10:40 a.m.
Commissioner Hood made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Commissioner Long seconded the motion and all voted aye. There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:40 a.m.