Gordon County Board of Commissioners
Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Judicial Building Assembly Room – 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Commissioners: M.L. “Bud” Owens, Chair, Kevin Cunningham, Vice Chair, Chad Steward, Bruce Potts, Kurt Sutherland; County Administrator and Attorney Jim Ledbetter, County Clerk Hollis Barton, Executive Assistant Keith King; Courtney Taylor, Michele NeSmith, Hannah Jones, Media
- Call To Order – Chair Owens called the meeting to order.
- Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance – Commissioner Potts, Commissioner Sutherland
- Approval of Minutes – Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve the minutes as submitted, seconded by Vice-Chair Cunningham. The motion carried 5-0.
- Adopt minutes of Work and Regular Session of April 18, 2023 and SPLOST and Legislative Update Meeting of April 11, 2023
- Approval of the Agenda – Chair Owens asked for a motion to add item B under Consideration of New Business. Vice-Chair Cunningham made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Potts. The motion carried 5-0.
- Commissioner Sutherland then made a motion to approve the agenda, seconded by Commissioner Steward. The motion carried 5-0.
- Special Recognition
- May Employees Years of Service – Commissioner Steward presented the names and Vice-Chair Cunningham drew Charlotte Rediger’s name for the extra vacation day.
- ACCG Award – Michele NeSmith with ACCG presented the 2023 ACCG Youth Leadership Award to Hannah Jones. Ms. NeSmith applauded Miss Jones for her accolades and association with 4H and the Work-Based Learning program with Gordon County Administration, as well as her schoolwork. Ms. NeSmith stated this was the type of dedication and community involvement the ACCG aimed to lift up and recognize. Miss Jones thanked her mother as well as the Commission and Administration for the opportunity to work with the County and the opportunities it has brought forth.
- Administrator’s Report
Mr. Ledbetter presented the report to the Commission.
- Commissioner’s Report
- Vice-Chair Cunningham stated he has been in contact with Mr. Ledbetter with general housekeeping as well as a few citizens regarding zoning concerns.
- Commissioner Steward stated he had a Finance work session with Mr. Ledbetter and Ms. Bramlett; attended the ACCG Annual Training in Savannah.
- Chair Owens stated on the 20th he attended the Northwest Georgia Regional Commission Meeting where Gordon County was recognized as an Age-Friendly Community and presented Mr. Ledbetter with a plaque from the AARP. Stated on the 21st met with a citizen regarding a road concern and on the 27-28 attended the ACCG conference in Savannah.
- Commissioner Potts stated on April 20th met with Mr. Sparks regarding Parks and Recreation; on the 22nd participated in the Senior Citizens Clean-Up Day; attended ACCG Conference in Savannah with Commissioners Steward and Owens.
- Commissioner Sutherland stated he met with Steve Parris last week and received updates from Public Works regarding paving, the Chert Mine, and Fleet.
- First Reading
- Adopt a resolution of Gordon County, Georgia, to approve the adoption of Ordinance § 7-9 titled “Commercial Fishing Prohibited in County Parks”. – Chair Owens and Mr. Ledbetter presented the item to the Commission.
- Public Hearing
- Consideration of Unfinished Business
- Consideration of New Business
- Request from Gordon County Sheriff’s Office to deem certain items as surplus. – Chair Owens presented the item to the Commission. Vice-Chair Cunningham made a motion to approve, seconded by Commissioner Sutherland. The motion carried 5-0.
- Retain Special Projects Counsel to assist with current and upcoming projects. – Mr. Ledbetter presented the item to the Commission. Stated with the growth the County is currently experiencing, at times we would need to retain counsel to assist with legal matters and the contract would be with Virginia Harman with McRae, Smith, Peek, Harman, and Monroe, LLP. Commissioner Potts made a motion to approve, seconded by Vice-Chair Cunningham. The motion carried 5-0.
- Commissioner Potts made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Commissioner Steward. The motion carried 5-0.