- Budget Preparation: The departmental budget requests are being compiled for review by the Finance Committee scheduled to meet later this week. Pending the Finance Committee’s review, a recommendation will be presented to Board of Commissioners.
- Resaca Battlefield Opening Ceremony: A soft-opening for the new Resaca Battlefield Park began on April 29th. Ten vehicles arrived on Friday with the first being a family from Michigan. On Saturday, approximately 20 vehicles arrived with several groups walking the trails. Logistical preparation for the official opening ceremony will begin on Monday the 9th.
- George Chambers Resource Center: The final inspection was performed by the Building Inspection Department, and a certificate of occupancy was issued. A determination of substantial completion was made during a walk-through on April 27th. Several punch list items were identified and are being addressed by the builder. The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on May 17th.
- Gordon County Government Plaza Renovation: Bid proposal documents are expected from the three pre-qualified builders on May 12th. The proposals will be evaluated, and a recommendation will be presented for the Board of Commissioners.
- Purchasing: Fire Trucks bids have been received and are now under review. Proposals to replace the e911 Computer Aided Dispatch system are due on May 4th, and a replacement e911 phone system is being installed by AT&T to go live on May 17.
- Public Safety:
- E911 calls received during the month of April 2016 totaled 8,154.
- F&ES dispatches received during April totaled 461.
- Animal Control emergency dispatches received during April totaled 33. The Animal Control Shelter reported 23 adoptions, 69 rescues, and 4 animals returned to owner during April 2016. Animal shelter occupancy declined during April from 18 to 7 animals.
- New Construction: New single family home building permits issued by the Building Inspections Department increased to 11 permits issued during April 2016 from 6 permits issued in April 2015 and a year to date average of 4 permits each month.
- Public Works: The Public Works Department completed the base elevation increase on Covington Bridge Road and preparations continue to begin paving next week. The Georgia Environmental Protection Division has issued a public notice of the variance request that is required to begin Brookshire Road improvements. Pending consideration of public comments, authorization to proceed is expected by the end of May.