- NEW FISCAL YEAR: Begins on July 1, 2019 and ends June 30, 2020.
- TAX ASSESSMENTS: The Tax Assessor’s Office expects to mail Tax Assessment Notices on or before next Tuesday, June 25, 2019.
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS AND ACTIVITY
- FLAG DAY: Commissioner Hood and several county staff members attended a Flag Day ceremony at the Sheriff’s Office sponsored by the Elks Club.
- ADVENT HEALTH BOOSTER LUNCH: Commissioner Cunningham and county staff attended a chamber booster lunch hosted by Advent Health and received a tour of new facilities.
- DEWS POND ROAD DOT PROJECT: DOT has closed Dews Pond Road at the bridge over I-75 for construction with a scheduled re-opening at Midnight on July 19, 2019.
- HEALTH DEPARTMENT: The Bid Documents containing plans and specifications have been received and are under review by the county and Health Department officials.
- GOVERNMENT PLAZA 2ND FLOOR: The county is completing environmental testing prior to bid solicitation.
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: Commissioner Hood and the Administrator continue to meet with Mayor Palmer, City Administrator Eddie Peterson and Paul Worley to discuss community development needs and other issues.
- COUNTY SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT: I had the opportunity to meet the new County School Superintendent, Dr. Fraker, at a reception last week.
- ANIMAL CONTROL: I thank Lucia Eastham and the Animal Rescue League for donating money to the Animal Shelter for spay/neuter costs so that the county could begin offering animals for adoption at a reduced fee of $25. As a result of their generosity, 14 dogs have been adopted and 2 more are available at the reduced fee. Also, My Kids Have Paws will be at the Shelter on June 25 for a spay/neuter clinic.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: The Administrator and staff met with a major local industry to assist with planning and zoning needs for an expansion of its operations.
- COURTHOUSE PRESSURE WASH: The County has solicited proposals from 3 pressure washing companies to clean the exterior of the Main Courthouse. Three Alarm had the low proposal and should begin this weekend.