9/6/11 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m.; welcoming all in attendance. Minutes from July 5, 2011 meeting were presented for review and approval. R. Stanley Chambers made motion to approve minutes; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye.
- Frix Cemetery
- David Mitchell stated approximately 3 weeks ago, Thomas Richardson, Kristen Richardson and friends’ of Thomas Richardson met himself at the Frix cemetery to begin a cleanup project of the cemetery. He stated tombstones were cleaned as well as some repairs made to tombstones.
- Thomas Richardson introduced his mom, Kristen Richardson, to the HPC members.
- Kristen Richardson gave a brief overview of her research of the Frix cemetery.
- Chairman Padgett expressed his thanks to the Richardson family for their support of the cemetery project.
- Thomas Richardson stated a sign has been ordered for the Frix Cemetery; the sign will be white and will denote Frix Cemetery on it along with Boy Scouts of America, Troop 108.
- Morrow Cemetery
- Chairman Padgett stated Georgia D.O.T. condemned Morrow Cemetery, located on Belwood Road. The cemetery now belongs to the State of Georgia. Chairman Padgett corresponded with a DOT representative and was informed that the cemetery would not be disturbed. (Correspondence on file with minutes)
- Chairman Padgett stated Jack Jones, of Resaca, notified HPC members of cemetery located on his property. Property is located between Highway 41 and I-75. He stated there are possibly two soldiers graves located in this cemetery.
- Chairman Padgett received an email from David Clark in regards to the Resaca Battlefield project. The project is on schedule, bids will be out around first of next year. The final archeology study has been complete where roadway was extended into Camp Creek Valley. Project finish date is 2012, length of project is 7-8 months, depending on weather conditions.
- R. Stanley Chambers stated Jane Powers Weldon located an individual who would be able to give estimated value of dolls housed at the Gordon County Historical Society. Chairman Padgett stated Martha Claire has retired and the building will be open by appointment only.
- No news to report on the Calhoun HPC.
- Chairman Padgett stated the GPS project for the cemeteries will begin this winter. David Mitchell stated he located the marker for Trimble House, marker was located on Highway 140.
- Chairman Padgett informed HPC members of training available in Rome, September 28th – September 30th, ‘Juggling Main Street’.
- R. Stanley Chambers questioned if the HPC could compose a formal letter thanking Boy Scout Troop 108 for their assistance in cleaning up the Frix Cemetery. Chairman Padgett stated David Mitchell could coordinate a letter and possibly get the troop together for a picture in the paper.
- Chairman Padgett stated he is meeting with an attorney next week in Cartersville to have a multi-million dollar Civil War collection turned over to the Friends of Resaca. He stated he will keep HPC members updated.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting is scheduled for November 7, 2011. David Mitchell made motion for meeting to be adjourned; seconded by Betty Ann Surdykowski. All voted aye. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:25 p.m.