11/7/2011 Historic Preservation Commission Minutes
Chairman Padgett called the meeting to order at approximately 6 p.m.; welcoming everyone in attendance. Minutes from September 6, 2011 minutes were presented for review and approval. Betty Ann Surdykowksi made motion to approve minutes; seconded by R. Stanley Chambers. All voted aye.
- Chairman Padgett stated the Resaca State Battlefield site bids will go out in December and due in by February 01, 2012. Bid award will be awarded in March; with completion date expected by end of 2012. This is for Phase I, road, trail systems and interpretative signage.
- No new business to report on Fort Wayne site.
- Chairman Padgett cemetery project will start back this winter. David Mitchell stated a Byron cemetery needed to be located.
- Jane Powers Weldon informed HPC members of the Gordon County Historical Society’s upcoming meeting on November 8th, 2011, with next membership meeting being in approximately two weeks. She stated Mary Ann Brooks is at the Historical Society all day on Fridays and can be opened at other times by appointment only.
- Jane Powers Weldon stated the City HCP has not had any recent meetings to report on. Chairman Padgett stated the GPS historical markers will be hopefully be in place this upcoming winter.
- Chairman Padgett presented the HPC members with a copy of a proclamation for Thomas Richardson and Boys Scouts of America recognizing their efforts with cemetery clean up project. (copy of proclamation is filed with minutes. Chairman Padgett stated he will organize a time and photo to be placed in Calhoun Times and inform the HPC. David Mitchell stated Thomas Richardson and his Boy Scout Troop have spent two Saturdays cleaning up the Gideon cemetery.
- Chairman Padgett stated on September 18, 2011 he took a tour with the American Civil War Trust Board of Directors through the Resaca Battlefield Site, Fort Wayne, and easement on Chitwood Farm. He stated on October 11, 2011 he met with National Park Service reference to a film that will be filmed here in Gordon County next June. The National Park Service will be recreating parts of the Battle of Kennesaw, which will be shown at the Kennesaw National Military Park in the visitors’ center. On November 6, 2011 Chairman Padgett took a tour with some of the National Parks Service and National & State Politicians through the Resaca Battlefield Site.
- Chairman Padgett informed the HPC that the American Civil War Trust is working with Friends of Resaca and Georgia Battlefield Association to gain 51 acres of the easement on the Chitwood farm for a pull off and a walking trail up to the Cherokee Battery, where public can have access.
- R. Stanley Chambers questioned if we could possibly have a masonry repair the wall at the Gideon Cemetery. There was brief discussion regarding this.
Chairman Padgett stated next meeting will be January 2, 2012, at 6 p.m.. Jane Powers Weldon made motion to adjourn; seconded by David Mitchell. Meeting was adjourned at approximately 6:08 p.m.