- SPLOST/LOST: SPLOST and LOST revenue shown in the report dated November 30, 2018 reflect collections reported for October 2018. For that period, SPLOST collections were $755,834.60 which is a $133,132.09 (21.38%) increase over the same period last year. LOST collections were $524,335.59 which is a $92,490.15 (21.42%) increase over the same period last year. September collections had been down about 9%.
SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS AND ACTIVITY
- SPECIAL ELECTION ANNOUNCEMENT: The State of Georgia has given notice that a special election shall be held on January 8, 2019 in the parts of Gordon and Murray Counties that comprise Georgia House District 5 after the passing of State Representative John Meadows. A run-off, if needed, shall be held on February 5, 2019. Qualifying for the special election shall be held in the Elections Division of the Office of Secretary of State, 2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SE, West Tower Suite 802, Atlanta, Georgia 30334. The dates and hours of qualifying will be Wednesday, December 5, 2018 beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending at 5:00 p.m., Thursday, December 6, 2018 beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending at 5:00 p.m., and Friday, December 7, 2018 beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending at 1:00 p.m. The qualifying fee shall be $400.00. Wednesday, December 12, 2018 is the last day to register to vote for all persons who are not registered to vote and who desire to vote in the special election.
- HEALTH DEPARTMENT: The architects are preparing the design documents following the schematic design phase that included input from the Health Department officers and staff.
- GOVERNMENT PLAZA 2nd Floor: The county has obtained an estimate of the cost to construct the modifications shown in a schematic design prepared by Carter and Watkins. The architects are now proceeding with the formal design and preparation of the documents for the bid process.
- BROOKSHIRE PARK: The County has received a topographic survey as part of the design process to construct improvements contemplated in this 2012 SPLOST project with the idea to install a pavilion, picnic tables, walking trail and other amenities.
- ANIMAL CONTROL: Sue Henson and her staff are planning an Animal Adoption event for Saturday, December 22, 2018 in the new building on Harris Beamer Road. We expect to offer animals for adoption at reduced or no fees and to solicit donations of food and supplies for starter kits to go with the adopted dogs and cats. The goal is to find a permanent home for all of the animals before Christmas.
- REBONE RIDGES LANDFILL: The Environmental Protection Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Inspected the landfill for compliance with the Solid Waste Handling Permit and Rules and Regulations for Solid Waste Management in September 2018. The facility received a perfect score of 100.
- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT: The Charter Gordon County Internal Leadership class continues to meet regularly. In addition, County staff has contacted the County Schools to help select a high school student to serve as an unpaid intern interested in gaining experience in local government work.
- DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY: Keith King and I attended the December meeting of the Development Authority and received an update on local industrial and commercial prospects.