Frequently Asked Questions

I am registered to vote but unsure of where my polling place is located. Where can I find this information?
The location of your polling place is listed on your precinct card. If you do not have one, or have misplaced your card and do not know where your polling place is located, call our office at (706) 629-7781. You can also visit “My Voter Page” at

If I show up at the wrong polling place on Election Day can I vote a provisional ballot there, or do I have to go to my own polling place to vote on Election Day?
If the pollworker determines that there is not enough time for you to make it to your correct polling place by 7:00 pm, you may be allowed to vote a provisional ballot at the polling place in which you are present. In this case, only the votes cast for candidates for whom you would have been eligible to vote for in your proper polling location shall be counted.

I have not voted in a while, how can I find out if I am still eligible to vote?
If you have not voted in a while please contact the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office at (706) 629-7781 to see if you are still eligible to vote. You can also visit “My Voter Page” at to see if you are registered to vote and to find out what precinct you vote in. Please remember that you must be registered to vote 30 days prior to the election to be eligible to vote. The 30 days also applies to having your name changed or your addressed changed on your voter registration information.

I’ve recently moved. Am I still eligible to vote at my old precinct?
Voters are required to notify the board of elections of their county of residence whenever they move. If you move within the county in which you are registered to vote and did not notify the registrar at least 30 days prior to the election, you may vote in your old polling place for this election. You must complete a change of address card at the polling place.
If you move outside the county in which you are registered to vote within 30 days of an election, you may vote in your old precinct for that election and any ensuing runoff only. If you move outside the county in which you are registered to vote more than 30 days prior to an election, you have lost your eligibility to vote in elections in the county of your old residence. You must register to vote in your new county of residence, and if you did not register to vote in the new county by the deadline, you cannot vote in that particular election.

I recently moved. How do I change my address?
You can now register to vote online:

If you are not able to register to vote online, please contact the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office at 706-629-7781, and we can mail you a voter registration application.  Please remember, if the request is done within 30 days of an Election, the change may not take effect until after the Election. Please contact the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office if you have questions about Election deadline dates.

How do I get a Precinct Card?
You can call the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office at (706) 629-7781 to request a new precinct card to be mailed to you. Once this request is made you should receive your card in the mail within 3 weeks.

How do I register to vote? Where do I go to register to vote?
You can now register to vote online: or you can contact the Board of Elections & Voter Registration Office located in the Gordon County Government Plaza Building, 215 North Wall Street, Calhoun, GA 30701. For all voting inquiries (i.e. registering to vote, voting precinct location, etc.) please call 706-629-7781. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.

Am I required to show identification when I vote?
When you arrive at your polling place, you will complete a voter’s certificate which asks for your name and residence address. You will then present the certificate and proper identification to the poll officials who will verify that you are a registered voter in that precinct by checking the voters list for that precinct. Voters are required to present identification at their polling place prior to casting their ballot. Proper identification shall consist of any one of the following:

  • A valid Georgia driver’s license, even if expired
  • Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a FREE Voter ID Card issued by the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services
  • Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the US Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
  • Valid U.S. Passport ID
  • Valid U.S. Military Photo ID
  • Valid tribal photo ID

NOTE: The “precinct card” you receive to confirm your voter registration and voting location is NOT a form of identification, and it will not be sufficient identification to vote.

Are sample ballots available prior to the election?
Yes. Sample ballots are available through the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration Office. Voters are authorized to carry a sample ballot or list of selected candidates with them to the polls to aid them in voting their ballot.

When is the best time to go to the polls to avoid having to wait in long lines?
Peak voting hours appear to be from 7:00 am till 9:30 am and 4:30 pm till 7:00 pm, and during the mid-day lunch hour.

What time will the polls open and close on Election Day?
Polls are open from 7:00 am until 7:00 pm on Election Day. However, any voter who is waiting to vote at 7:00 pm will be allowed to vote.

How do I get a free Georgia Voter Identification Card?
To obtain a free photo vote id card, a voter must be registered in Gordon County and must sign an affidavit that states that they do not have a Georgia Driver’s license or State issued id. They may also go to the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services and upon proof of registration and residency obtain a free photo id that can be used for voting purposes.

What happens if I do not have any identification with me at the polling place?
If a voter is unable to produce any of the required forms of identification, the voter shall be allowed to vote a Provisional Ballot. The voter is allowed 3 days to provide proper ID to the Gordon County Board of Elections and Voter Registration office in order to have their ballot counted. If they fail to provide proper ID their provisional ballot will not be counted.

Can I wear a campaign button into the polling place?
No person may campaign; distribute literature or written or printed matter of any kind; wear campaign buttons, signs, pins, stickers, t-shirts, etc.; circulate petitions; or perform similar activities within 150 feet of the building in which a polling place is located.

What is a provisional ballot?
A provisional ballot is a paper ballot used by a voter whose eligibility to vote is in question and cannot be determined on Election Day.

How are provisional ballots counted?
On the day following the election, the registrar investigates each and every provisional ballot in an attempt to help prove the voter’s eligibility. If the registrar can find proof that the voter is eligible to vote then the voter’s ballot is counted, if not the voter’s ballot is rejected. As part of the process of voting a provisional ballot, the voter will complete an application to register to vote so even if the registrar is unable to prove the voter’s eligibility, the voter will be able to get registered for future elections.