Storm Related Notice to Homeowners and Contractors


Updated Storm Relief Information as of 2/6/13

The Gordon County Board of Commissioners has waived building permit fees for 30 days for those buildings affected by the storm.  The 30 days are from February 1 – March 1.  The Board will review that decision at the end of the 30 days to determine if another extension is needed.  Property owners and contractors are still required to obtain all permits

The Board of Commissioners is also waiving the time restraint that residents can live in campers/RVs next to the affected house while rebuilding.

Please review the following documents for more details:


Storm Related Notice to Homeowners and Contractors as of 2/1/2013

It is important that structures damaged by Wednesday’s storm be properly and safely repaired. All repair work to storm damaged structures involving structural, electrical, plumbing and heat/air must obtain proper permits from the Gordon County Building and Planning Office located at 200 S. Wall Street, 706-629-0505, prior to performing work.

EXCEPTION: Work necessary to temporarily shore up or stabilize structures.

Power utility companies have been authorized to reconnect services that they determine to be safe to do so, however, it is at their discretion. Homes that are structurally damaged will probably require an electrician to verify that it is safe to restore power. In such cases an electrical permit will be required before reconnection of services.

All work performed must be by the homeowner or a Georgia state licensed contractor where required. If you are a homeowner and a contractor ask you to obtain the permit for them ask to see a copy of their state license. If they are unable to show you their license do not use them. If you are able to verify their license ask them to obtain the permit. There is no difference in cost between a license obtained by a homeowner or licensed contractor.

If your home received minor damage such as roof shingles or siding needing replacement a licensed contractor is not required unless there is structural damage that must be repaired. If you have questions about what work needs permits call the Gordon County Building and Planning Dept., 706-629-0505.

Finally, homeowners, do not pay the full amount for contractor’s work until the work is complete to your satisfaction.

The following contractors are required by law to hold a state license in order to do work in Gordon County:

  • General Contractors
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Plumbing Contractors
  • Heat / Air Contractors

The Gordon County Building and Planning office is open Monday-Friday, 8am – 5pm. The office is located at 200 S. Wall Street, Calhoun, GA 30701, 706-629-0505

Author: admin

Share This Post On